Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The God Life

The good life. I've heard that expression a million times. I'm sure you have too. It's what everybody wants. Good family. Good house. Good job. Good car. Good finances. But, even when those things seem good, life sometimes isn't. I have so many friends (whether face-to-face friends or online friends) who are experiencing less than what our culture calls "the good life." My friends Brooke and Brad have a 3 month old baby girl named Rylee who was just diagnosed with an incurable genetic disorder. (www.caringbridge.org/visit/ryleemarlar) The Whittakers at www.howcantheyhear.org have a four year old, Susana, who is dying of cancer. The McRaes at www.caringbridge.org/visit/mcraekate just found out their kindergarten daughter Kate's cancer is back.

Life is not good. Even at it's best, life is not good. We live in a fallen world. Romans 8:20-22 says:

"For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time."

Humans are fallen. Nature is fallen. Not one thing on this earth was left untouched by sin. But God, through Christ, will make all things new (2 Cor. 5:17). Life is not good. But, God is. God is good. In Matt. 19:17 Jesus says, "There is only One who is good." The only true good life is the God life. It's the only life that can say, "My baby is sick, but God is good." "My daughter is dying, but God is good." "My family is broken, but God is good." Because, the God life doesn't hinge on people or stuff or circumstances. It is a life that is hung on one statement, "There is only One who is good."

I am beyond thankful today for the goodness of God. My home is peaceful. My marriage is strong. My babies are healthy. My cabinets are full. But, I know there will come a time when life may not seem so "good." I pray that God will give me the faith to know then more deeply than I do now that HE IS GOOD.


*Please be praying for Rylee, Susan, and Kate. Visit their blogs and websites to see the amazing gift of faith God is giving these families.

1 comment:

TammieFay said...

I have NO GREATER JOY than this, to hear of my children walking in truth (3 John 1:4). I love you so!