Saturday, June 30, 2007

Confessions

My first quick confession is...my momma gave me an award! It is now proudly posted on my page! I think I am supposed to pass this award on, but since I'm new at this I want to wait until I know you ladies a little better.

Now, the real reason this blog is called confessions...When Brandon and I were in Lexington last weekend we went to several bookstores (because we're just nerds like that!). We were in Barnes & Noble and spotted an interesting book. It is called Confessions by St. Augustine. This past year at Southern, we had a professor recommend it. It is Augustine's most famous writing. It is very personal writing. The book is what I like to call his thoughts, meditations, and ramblings on God. It is so amazing! So, every now and then I would like to share some of these confessions with you.

[I.I.I] You are great, lord, and greatly to be praised; great is your power, and infinite is your wisdom.* And man desires to praise you, for he is part of your creation; he bears his mortality about with him and carries the evidence of his sin and the proof that you resist the proud. Still he desires to praise you, this man who is only a small part of your creation. You have prompted him, that he should delight to praise you, for you have made us for yourself and restless is our heart until it comes to rest in you. Grant me, lord, to know and understand whether first to invoke you or to praise you; whether first to know you or call upon you. But who can invoke you, knowing you not? For one who knows you not may invoke you as another than you are. It may be that we should invoke you in order that we may come to know you. But how shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? Or how shall they believe without a preacher?* Now, they shall praise the lord who seek him, for those who seek shall find him, and finding him, shall praise him. I will seek you, lord, and call upon you. I call upon you, lord, in my faith which you have given me, which you have inspired in me through the humanity of your son, and through the ministry of your preacher.

*Psalms 145:3, 147:5
*Romans 10:14

Can you imagine the hours this man spent doing nothing but thinking about his great God? I hope that his confessions spark your own.

5 comments:

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

LOL about the Barnes and Noble trip! When Trevor and I finally get a night out without the kids, we invariably end up at a bookstore. We went on a trip to San Antonio for our 10 year anniversary, and guess where we ended up? That's right....Barnes and Noble. It's a sickness, I think.

Now I need to add Confessions by St. Augustine to the ongoing list of books that I want!

TammieFay said...

Ok, so I know your just getting home and all, but you've been tagged! Go to my blog and get the details on Saturday night's post.

Welcome home...I love you!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

BTW, I borrowed a copy of Confessions and am planning to start reading it this weekend!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Where are you??? I've missed reading your posts! Hope all is well and that you get the time to post soon....

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Looking at the comments for this page, I look like a total internet stalker with my picture staring back at me like 4 times.....